Monday, September 30, 2013

Let's go to school; my body and how I view it vs. other's opinions

So I'm one of those skinny folks in the world that doesn't like being reminded that I'm skinny. In fact, as I've gotten older, I hate it. Just like (I really don't like using this word) fat people generally don't like being called fat, I don't like to be called skinny. I look at my body everyday, lived in this thin skin for 29 years so I kinda know how I look by now. I don't need a constant reminder. But I had to look at the people that were dishing out the reminders. People who weren't happy in their own thick skin. Yeah, I said it. Now, I can make fun of myself; I know my body, the quirks & things that generally make me look odd. Other people doing it though, I can't say I love it too much. I think it's because the place that some people come from with their criticism is a mean spirited place to tear and/or wear me down. Criticism is ok but coming from people that don't have to live with the results OR aren't happy with their own selves so they take it out on people who are happy with themselves and their bodies is comical but sad. Why put me down? If I haven't said anything negative about your body why say anything about mine? And if you're not happy with your body why take it out on me? Here's a tip, honey boo boo: do something about it!

I've decided, rather than tear down these individuals as they tried to do me, I would educate them, take them to school. I can show better than I can tell, so I decided to turn what they tried to deem as ugly, awkward and negative into something beautiful and positive. And look at me now! I'm healthy and I'm in fitness modeling, and my "skinny" body is actually appealing to some people. Who knew right?

I don't want this to sound like an angry post or come off as condescending and braggadocios. It's more of a teaching tool. You have no idea how long I've had to live with people who have told me my skinny-self wasn't much and I needed to eat more meat. Well, I do eat but I eat healthy and in moderation. 

At the end of the day, I use all criticism to push and motivate myself that much harder. I never thought I would become a teacher but I guess I am. It's a grueling job and my pay may not seem all that great but my reward is turning the ignorant into conscious believers. Life is a lesson and class is definitely in session. 




No comments:

Post a Comment